Xavier Gide, a Parisian clockmaker who served his apprenticeship under François Gervais and Pierre de Monchanin. Made a master in 1762, his workshop was in the rue Saint-Louis from 1762 to 1787, and as of 1788, in the Quai de l’Horloge. Particularly renowned for his watchcases, he also made complete watches, as well as a few clocks, all of which testify to his remarkable skill. A partner of Breguet from 1775 to 1791, he was widely reputed and regularly worked with horologists such as Gustave-Adolphe Adamson, Pierre III Le Roy and Jacques-Pierre-Thomas Bréant. Today his work is found in large international museums, including the Musée des Arts Décoratifs and the Louvre Museum in Paris, and the Mathematisch-Physikalischer Salon in Dresden.