Pierre II Gille
“Gille l’Aîné à Paris”
This was the signature of Parisian clockmaker Pierre II Gille after 1765. The son of a master, he himself became a master on November 18, 1746, opening workshops in the rue Saint-Martin, rue Saint-Denis and the rue aux Ours. At the start of his career he worked with his father, later founding his own workshop. He quickly became successful with important collectors. Among his clientele were the Marquis of Brunoy, Prince Charles of Lorraine, the Farmer-General Perrinet de Jars and the Duke de Gramont.