Victory bronze Candelabra, Empire Period
Call +33 1 45 61 44 55
attributed to Pierre-Philippe Thomire (1751-1843)
A fine pair of Empire gilt and patinated bronze three-light candelabra “à la Victoire”
Paris, Empire Period, circa 1800-1805
Height 81 cm. each
A fine pair of Empire gilt and patinated bronze three-light candelabra “à la Victoire”, the stem of each, formed as a classically-robed winged Victory whose uplifted arms support a lamp issuing from a pilaster placed upon her head and featuring three candle branches that terminate in vase-shaped candle nozzles with stylised flames. Each figure stands on a cylindrical anthemion-mounted and foliate-cast base that is supported by crouching griffons and rests upon on a shaped triangular green marble base.
These very fine and unusual candelabra relate to those made by renowned bronzier Pierre-Philippe Thomire (1751-1843), who created a similar pair today in the Metropolitan Museum, New York (illustrated in Hans Ottomeyer and Peter Pröschel, “Vergoldete Bronzen”, 1986, p. 329, pl. 5.2.4).
Thomire’s candelabra were inspired by designs of Napoleon’s architects and ornamentalists Charles Percier (1764-1838) and Pierre François Léonard Fontaine (1762-1853), who in turn had been inspired by Antique statues of Victory (illustrated ibid., p. 328, pl. 5.2.1 and p. 329, pl. 5.2.3 respectively).
A number of such figures were made during the early nineteenth century, produced by such artisans as Italian artist and designer Filippo Pelagio Pelagi (1775-1860) whose designs for the winged female caryatid supports for a console, circa 1833-34, are today in the Biblioteca Archiginnasio Gabinetto dei Disegni e delle Stampe, Raccolta Disegni Palagi (inv. 2155) in Bologne. They are illustrated in G. Beretti, A. Cotiino, B. Gallizia di Vergano, L. Melegati, “Gli Splendori del Bronzo, Mobili e oggetti d’arredo tra Francia e Italia 1750 1850”, 2002, p. 149, pl. 74.
Pierre-Philippe Thomire (1757-1843) Having become a master founder on May 18, 1772, he was the most important Parisian bronzier of the first quarter of the 18th century and the early years of the following century. Initially he worked for Pierre Gouthière, chaser-founder to the king, and as of the mid-1770s he worked with Louis Prieur. He later became one of the official bronziers of the Royal Sèvres Factory, creating bronze he bought the stock of Martin-Eloi Lignereux and became the main supplier of bronze furnishings for the imperial palaces. He also had a number of wealthy several of Napoleon’s marshals. He retired in the mid-1820s and died in 1843.
Pierre Gouthière Bronze and Turquin Blue Marble Candelabra in the form of Quivers, Louis XVI period
Rare Pair of Three-Light Matte and Burnished Gilt Bronze Wall Lights in the Form of Flaming Torches, Transition period Louis XV-Louis XVI
Pierre Gouthière Exceptional Pair of Matte and Burnished Gilt Bronze and Gray Vosges Granite Four-Light Candelabra Vases “The Pineapples”, Louis XVI period
Claude Galle A Rare Pair of Matte and Burnished Gilt Bronze Three-Light “Egyptian Head” Candelabra with Removable Arms, Empire period
Philippe Caffiéri A Rare and Important Pair of Three-Light Gilt Bronze Neoclassical Wall Lights, Transition period
A Rare Suite of Four Three-Light Gilt Bronze Wall Appliques with Matte and Burnished Finishing, late Empire period