Henri-Charles Balthazar is one of the most important Parisian horologists of the Louis XV period. He became a master on March 26, 1717, working first in the place Dauphine, cloître Saint-Germain de l’Auxerrois and then in the rue du Roule. In just a few years he became quite well known, being named clockmaker to Mesdames, filles de France (the daughters of the King). Like many of the finest artisans of the time, he worked with the best bronze workers and cabinetmakers, including Jean-Joseph de Saint-Germain, Jacques Dubois and Jean-François Oeben. He furnished several pieces to the Garde-Meuble de la Couronne, and acquired a wealthy private clientele, including the Count d’Armentières, Nicolas Chuppin, trésorier du Marc d’or, the Marquis de Saint-Georges and the Russian ambassador.